Sunday, February 6, 2011

My Laughing Buddah


Most of my recent posts have been "visually busy". I thought I'd give you a calm, happy image to enjoy this Sunday.

This is Hotei. He is the god of contentment and happiness, guardian of children. Supposedly based on an actual person, he is widely recognized as the Fat, Laughing Buddah. His origin is from Chinese Taoism/Buddhism.

According to legend, if one rubs the Laughing Buddha's great belly, it brings forth wealth, good luck, and prosperity.      I better start rubbing.

For a long time, I had been looking for a buddah. I imagined buying a large stone figure, but instead this small 5" hand carved figure "found me" in a crowded antique mall. He sits on the window sill by my kitchen sink and greets me each morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment